Saturday, December 2, 2017

Black Friday/Cyber Monday Goodies

Did you guys snag any good sewing stuff for Black Friday/Cyber Monday? Last year, I bought a bunch of fabric and patterns. This year though? I wasn't really feeling it. I did snag some fun though.

I used this opportunity to buy about 40 randomly-colored zippers. I buy loooong zippers that I know I will have to cut off. This way, I always have a zipper for projects like my Charlie bomber jackets. The difference in price between the 18" and 28" is only $.20 or so, so it's totally worth it. I bought about 10 with the brass teeth, 10 with plastic teeth (like these in the picture), and I bought 11 white zippers that are closed on the bottom. I really only needed six for Jalie 3244 Christmas pajamas. I could either buy six of them for $1.10/each or I could buy "bulk" and buy eleven of them for $0.42/each. That was a no-brainer decision. They are all long zippers so I will just cut off what I don't need.  They had a free shipping plus 40% deal and I took full advantage of it. The metal zippers at Joann's are about $6-$9 for each one!


















I also bought two more Hot Patterns. They had a 30% (I think?) plus free shipping promotion going on. I really want to love this company. I've adored their line drawings for years. I did finally bite the bullet and buy three of them not too long ago. Out of the three, one was a hit-it-out-of-the-ballpark winner, one was a what-the-fuck-were-they-thinking, and one of them was okay-but-needs-alterations. Those aren't good odds, especially when I'm used to Jalie, Ottobre, and Burda. Anyway, I did it again. I figure, it's a damn tote bag, how can it go wrong? I've been carrying around a lap top a lot more lately and struggled to find a cute, larger, non-frumpy tote bag lately. Then I had a face palm moment and I was like, "Dawn. Dawn! Why don't you just sew one." I've sewn the Nairobi bag before and it was easy to sew the leather. I used the bag for years until it wore out. I'm going to do it again with this bag.
















I also bought this one which is so old now that it's considered Vintage Hot Patterns. Again, though, this is one I have admired for years. I'm hoping for another hit-outta-the-ballpark. I've seen so many versions out there (and I remember the neckline issue!) and they are all lovely. This is exactly the type of thing I love in the winter too. Keep your fingers crossed for me! I want to love you, Deco Vibe Cosmopolitan Dress, please do not disappoint me!

No comments: