Sunday, October 25, 2015

Ottobre 06-2015 #31 and #32 Pajamas (and my new binder!!)

So, I bought a binder so I just HAD to make something that needed binding. Right?? You know exactly what I mean, people. So, to get to know my new little friend a little better, I made three pajamas for the Little People. This pajama pattern in this newest edition of Ottobre comes in a huge range of sizes. I made one size 116 (the one modeled by the diva) and two size 128s (lengthened to a size 134).
ott_0615_31_1

 

These are all made out of cotton knits from the National City Swap Meet. I love that place.
ott_0615_31_2

 

This is the best I could get for standing still pictures. Use your imagination. I’m amazed at how well her sunglasses match the knit ribbing and the aqua in the pajamas.
ott_0615_31_3

 

I’ll talk about the binding in detail below. This has a bound neckline and bound sleeve hems. There are supposed to be buttons on the faux hem but I liked this better. I like the mix of the prints on the front and back.
ott_0615_31_4

 

This is one of the larger version. This cotton knit is so soft and cozy. The Twin Girl Things will love it.
ott_0615_31_5
ott_0615_31_6

 

Look at this awesome knit binding!!!
ott_0615_31_7

 

My bad, I sort of suck at this. I need to baste EVERY TIME. I keep thinking I’ll just wing it.
ott_0615_31_8

 

Again, I thought the flowers would be more fun.
ott_0615_31_9

 

Another set for the second twinny. This time I actually used buttons.
ott_0615_31_10

 

I think the binder may be my new friend.
ott_0615_31_11

 

 

Okay, here’s my super snazzy set-up for my binder. It’s too low so it’s at an angle and tilting back. My super-wonderful husband took measurements today to make me a real table. So, to do this I just some of winged it. I knew (sort of) what this whole set-up was supposed to look like and I just put it together until it looked like it would work.
binder_1

 

Strangely, it worked perfectly the first time I used it. It took a bit of fiddling to get the needles in the right spot, but it’s pretty freaking amazing. I am sticking with actual knit binding right now since I think it’s “grabbier” and easy to use than slick knit fabric. I will experiment with those things after I feel comfortable using this.
binder_3

 

My second attempt. I ended up using the same thread and binding for all three of these pajamas. I figured why mess up a good thing. This aqua knit binding is from Fabric Mart. I have it in red, green, and this aqua. The dark blue above is from JoAnn’s and it seems to work well too.
binder_4

 

The only time it actually didn’t work was when I was sewing the bottom hem on one of the sleeves. I blinked and everything went to hell in a hand basket. I don’t know exactly what went wrong. I cut another sleeve and it did fine the second time around. 
binder_2

 

 

I did practice quite a bit before attempting a real project with this binder. I’m super pleased with the results. I will be getting another one in a bigger size. This is the 3/8”  (finished size) industrial binder.
binder_5

No comments: