Friday, May 25, 2012

Why I’m Not Sewing and What I Wore*

I loved this house when I bought it last year. It has what you would call, “good bones.” There is a ton of natural light, lots of room for kids, huge yard, space for a sewing room (my #1 priority, just kidding, well, only kind of), and high ceilings (which I love). What I didn’t love about it was the very 80’s fixtures and décor. It was built in the eighties so there is a lot of white with dark trim. There is also a lot of brass. I’ve decided I’m going to tackle some of these “design opportunities” this summer. My first job is the kids’ bathroom. It’s decent enough. It’s the standard Honey Oak cabinets, cream Formica and almond tub, toilet, and sink. I’m leaving the almond stuff because it’s not that bad and it’s all in really good shape. Mind you, the whole house is in really good shape. It’s just very dated. I’m going to make it a bit more fun by painting it a bright color and resurfacing the cabinets. It’s a tiny bathroom so the work should be done soon. Ha! But anyway, this is a long post when I could just say something short like, “This is why I haven’t sewn much lately.” Wow, verbose much Dawn?

Anywho, this is the before. I forgot to take the real before picture, where it still had all the cabinet doors. Oops.
bath_4

 

This is the um, current phase.
bath_2

 

I think I’m going with this blue for a couple of the walls.
bath_1

 

Have you seen a worse light in a bathroom? Ewwwwww. I kid you not, this isn’t even a bad light in this house. There are a bunch of nipple lights and some crazy-ass lantern lights in some of the rooms.
bath_3

 

 

*The What I Wore part is just a joke. Some of you may get it and most of you will probably not . . .

14 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wicked sense of humor lol... cant wait for the final bath pics!

Catherine said...

egads, what on earth is a nipple light?!

We have just chosen bathroom lights for our new ensuite, but I'm sad to say they don't look like your beauty ;P

margk said...

It's amazing the difference some wall colour can make. Get rid of the white (it doesn't have to be even strong colours) and the dark trim looks much better!

theperfectnose said...

I'm disappointed. I expected this to end with you in the bathroom curtain. But no, you explained a joke instead. Will be back next post to waggle a finger at you. It's late now and my rsi is tired...from entering the recaptcha thrice! Get disqus ! Please?

SEWN said...

Hahaha!!!!

marysews said...

I suggest a very light color in the bathroom, with dark trim. I once had a bathroom painted a very light blue, but since ALL the walls were that color and it was a small room, the color intensified. It was Too Blue. I believe there is such a thing.

I think if you paint it a dark color, it will feel like a cave in there. Unless you want it to feel like a cave.

Sew Lady Sew! said...

What happened to the peephole into your kitchen? Did you change it, or are you still contemplating its future?

Nikki said...

I can't stand those "what I'm wearing" posts. Narcissistic. Anyway, I love remodeling projects, so keep em coming.

Dawn said...

Still pondering but that will sometime this summer too.

Mary Beth said...

DH chose a blue like that for his bathroom and it took him a year, but finally he admitted it was overwhelming. Try folding your chips in to a corner to see how the reflection of itself changes the intensity of the color. Yeah, I was expecting a curtain dress, too. Feeling all let down LOL

Robyn said...

Our house is only about 14 years old but it has the ugliest bathroom lights, too. They are a bunch of round bulbs all the way across the top of the mirror, like stars have in dressing rooms. But I am way too lazy to care!

Dr. Fun (AKA Sister) said...

Haha - I tried some poses like one of the fashionistas over at my blog...no blow-back yet. I don't know how people have enough clothes to wear something different every day! Good luck with the bathroom.

Emily said...

I am out of the loop...can someone please explain the What I Wore joke??

Miss Judy said...

I'm so surprised to find someone else who thinks those lights look inappropriate!   I told my husband that I didn't want any lights that looked like female anatomy, but he said that he didn't see anything wrong with that!  I'm glad that I'm the one who had the patience to find affordable coordinating replacements for all of our builder's grade lights!