Wednesday, January 13, 2010

Questions and Answers

Sorry guys, it's been a looong time since I answered questions. Sheesh.

UmaPreve has left a new comment on your post "Buy Local! Or Not . . .":
Hi, the pattern looks amazing. I was wondering how would you sew stretchy fabric. I made a pants recently and it was a complete diseaster. I used the straight stitch machine.
Your advise pls. Why I ask this is because I would like to sew this pattern too but the fabric recommended is Jersey.
Thanks!

If you are going to use a straight stitch machine with knits you need to use a "stretchy" stitch. The zig zag works okay but my favorite is the three step zig zag. You also want to have a supply of several different knids of needles on hand. I like the Stretch needles in 70 or 80. I would buy a few different kinds and experiment.

Kelly has left a new comment on your post "KS 3167 Undies for Me":
Would love to know where you got the lace. Thanks!

My local fabric boutique, Seams Like Home, has a pretty good selection of stretch lace and microfiber for undergarments.


Kat has left a new comment on your post "Burda 07-2009 #140 Swim trunks and some cussing":
Cute swim trunks! And where oh where did you get those green eyelets? Do tell!


I inherited a bunch of random stuff from my husband's grandmother. I have lots of random eyelets, snaps, pieces, and parts.

Debbie Cook has left a new comment on your post "Burda 05-2009 #103 Knit Dress":
I agree with the masses - great dress, fabulous print!
Gotta ask, being a Florida girl ... what do you wear over the dress, and especially your legs, when you travel from home to the party? I'm imagining a REALLY long, warm coat. Or do you just brave it for the few minutes to and from the house/car with a regular coat? Maybe a blanket in the car?


We do several different things. We wear long coats and sometimes we do have blankets in the car. Most cars up here have heated leather seats so your butt, legs, and lower back stay warm. My truck does not have heated seats (Honey?? Are you hearing this???) and so it's pretty cold.

JoanneM has left a new comment on your post "Burda skirt on the hoof . . .":
Do you still run in those temps? My limit is 1 degree,no windchill. I will do snow,but ice can be tricky. Any windchill and I renegotiate at the front door,no matter what winter gear I have!


I run in almost any temperature. When I lived in Fairbanks -20 was my cut off temperature. As long as you keep your face covered and keep moving, you are okay. Anchorage is balmy compared to Fairbanks. It gets down to zero sometimes but it averages 10-20 degrees most months.

Marji has left a new comment on your post "Let's talk embroidery, shall we?":
ohh, I love all of these. You're making me want to explore my embroidery option. What kind of embroidery machine are you working with? Mine is not so user friendly, and I've just resisted learning it.

I have a Janome 350e and it has been fantastic. I love it. I have had no problems with it and use it often.

Laura Lynn Marschel has left a new comment on your post "Kid Jammies":
Great PJs! Quick question, for the sleeve ends, do you just use regular fabric or is that matching wide ribbing? It just looks like it stays in that shape better than just regular fabric would so I was curious, no rush! Have a great weekend!


I use both self-fabric ribbing and stretch ribbing. If I use self-fabric ribbing, I always cut it a little bit longer so that it has enough give to get it over my kids' melon heads.

2 comments:

Brenda said...

What, pray tell, is a 3 step zig zag? I have a Bernina that is 35 years old and I have never successfully sewn knits. More detail if you don't mind sharing! I would love a serger but don't know enough yet. I have no idea what would fit my needs. Thanks for any additional advice.

Uma Mageswari Preve said...

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer my question.

I will try the zig zag stitch again. The last time I tried, it skipped stitches. I will have to try with different needles as you suggested.

:)