Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Jalie 2919 - Pleated Cardigan

Can you tell I'm feeling better? I cut this out last night and sewed it up this evening. It's a super easy pattern and easy to whip out quickly. I used the
Sophia Stretch Double Knit Black
* rom Fabric.com that I've been stashing for a while. It is black and therefore impossible to photograph well. I paired it with my pencil skirt from this post and my red leather obi belt from this post. Personally, I think everyone needs a red leather obi belt (Karen, I am talking to you). They kick ass. Back to the cardigan. I can see this being a great winter staple here in Alaska. I love the shoulder pleating (that you can't see) and the large pseudo-lapels (that you can't see *cough, cough*). I will probably wear it with a belt. This might force me to make a few more leather belts. Oh, and I'm wearing this Burda wool tank underneath.



I'll wear it unbelted too.



The back and sides are straight cut and skim the hips nicely. Of course you can't see that in this photo because of the obi belt but squint your eyes, cock your head, and pretend.


Here's a lightened shot of the shoulder/bust pleats.


Here it is on the floor. You can see the pleating and the double-layer lapel. It makes a very nice thick edge to your cardigan.



Let's see; other tidbits. I made my normal Jalie size which is a Q. That corresponds to a size 34 in BWOF. The sleeves/shoulder on this are snug. I will wear this with a very thin knit top or a tank underneath. My Sophia doubleknit barely passes the "does this have enough stretch" test so that is probably part of it. But, even if it were stretchier, it would be snug. I will not go up a size because I like how it fits but you have been warned.

Hmmmm, what next? I don't know either. I'm thinking of some jeans or trousers. But, a wool coat has also been calling me. Decisions, decisions . . .

*Remember they are my sponsor!!

20 comments:

Christina said...

Cute!! A black cardi is such a great basic to own. I'm waiting on some wool jersey to come in the mail so I can make this one too.

sdBev said...

Cardi is nice, but I'm really loving that obi. I'm thinking a few pockets placed appropriately on the inside to hold my toys (cell and PDA) and the belt would make a nice addition to my closet. Thanks for sharing

Sue said...

Very nice - thanks for the review!

kiltsnquilts said...

Great look, great belt (how did I miss that post??!!) and GREAT shoes! :-))

Trudy said...

You look fabulous.

Jenny said...

Awesome cardigan. I really like the whole outfit. I tried to basically knock off that pattern (minus the pleats) a few days ago, and it didn't go so well... I may have to splurge for the actual pattern.

Lori said...

Great cardigan.

redcatbiker said...

Wow! What a fabulous looking outfit...divine! The whole look is so well put together: cardigan, tank, skirt, belt, shoes, lipstick, and your hairstyle. (Although, I like it best with the belt--it looks fine without it.)

okie2thfairy said...

Ok, where did you get those shoes? Love the obi and the whole freaking outfit. Great job on this- you should wear red more often!

Little Hunting Creek said...

Now I need a red leather obi!

senaSews said...

That's such a great outfit. I totally love the color combination! Note to myself: Need to make an obi belt!

amber said...

Great basic piece to add to your wardrobe, but what really kicks it up several notches is the styling! Such a fierce little outfit. Love!

gatorgirl4325 said...

That is one ROCKIN' outfit!! I was going to pass on the cardi pattern, but I don't think I'm going to be able to do that now. Glad you are feeling better! :)

Angela said...

Cute outfit! I love the pleats!

Victoria said...

I love your cardigan! You're right it's such a great staple. Love how you paired it with the other items you made!

Bunny said...

Beautiful cardigan! I see a workhorse here.

marysews said...

Great outfit, and I see what you mean about "needing" a red leather obi ...

Anonymous said...

Great looking cardi, Dawn. I cut it out of some busy sweater knit but there was too much going on to see the pleats. So I'll do something else out of that and now make it up in a solid.
Thanks for the inspiration.
Cissie

Vix said...

Those shoulder pleats are killing me; lovely detail! Love your whole look here.

angie.a said...

WTH? You went to Hawaii, AND had double pink eye sickness and you've still sewed 3 times as much as me the past week. (as in you sewed 3 things and I didn't.) :P