Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Burda 01-2010 #130 Boat Neck Shift Dress

Can you believe that it will be 2010??? Holy cow! I was surprised the other day when my January Burda was in the mail. They seem to be a bit early on this issue. They don't even have the preview up on the English site. They do show the full preview on the German site complete with model and technical photos.

But, any whooz-it, this simple shift dress caught my eye. It is one of the Take 1, Make 4 features. This is the unadorned version but I did leave the length at the slightly longer length. The green dress below is about two inches shorter than mine.


I made the size 34 which is my typical size for Burda.


I can also wear it over a turtleneck. This is how I would wear it to work. Although, of course, I would wear my woolen tights and my knee-high boots.


You can see I have two really large wrinkles running diagonally down the back. What are those from??!!??!? I did not do a swayback tuck (a usual alteration for me) because I figured this was too loose fitting to matter.


I really like how you attach the facings and then the sleeves keep them to the inside. I also understitched the front and back facings.


It also looks like this is a titch too narrow for my super beefy (not) shoulders. I think, instead, it's that my forward thrusting neck is pulling the front neckline down which is pulling the shoulders in a bit.


These are cap sleeves so I finished the remaining section of dress with a knit binding strip. The dress is unlined. It's a stretch polyester moleskin.


I topstitched it from the outside. With this crazy print you can't even see it.

20 comments:

Pam said...

Wow! I"m so impressed you can wear a shift - I love it!! I can't do so - but I wish I could . .

Shelley's Garden said...

I like the shift and the options for wearing it. Pretty impressive to have got your Burda already. Maybe mine will arrive soon also!

mens dress shirts said...

You are very talented, and also, you look good in it, thanks for share, merry christmas!

KID, MD said...

Awesome print!! The dress looks so great on you. I'm with Pammie - I wish I could wear a shift, particularly when I see an fabulous one like this. On an aside, how is it that Alaska gets Burda before Texas??? Where is my Burda????

Little Hunting Creek said...

Cute dress! I love the print
Merry Christmas!

Ann Made Studio said...

Very cute dress and I love the print.

Merry Christmas to you and your family!

Unknown said...

Great dress, love the print! Why am I surprised that you've already whipped up something from the latest issue? I should know better... You look fantastic!

Rose said...

I like this pattern and the fabric that you chose. You look great! You must have done the tracing on the way back from the mailbox!

okie2thfairy said...

Cute dress. Now if I can figure out how to look half as good as you I will be making it too! Happy Holidays.

judy said...

Very cute, both ways you are wearing it!

Angela said...

Cute! Love the print!

Anonymous said...

Wow, great job! Did you notice that the photo of the dress at Burda has the same diagonal wrinkles but on the front? I think yours looks better!

Kathi said...

You are fast!! Looks really cute!

Anonymous said...

Despite the back wrinkles (which, BTW, I don't even think you'd notice on a RTW dress) this looks great. I like the modern but classic cut, and it's the perfect length.

I must say - you have great legs! I have to take up running!

Jean said...

I can't believe you already made something out of this issue! It looks fantastic, especially the print.

ClaireOKC said...

These back wrinkles don't bother me, but I know how it is, when you see something like this, it's stuck in your mind and that's it.

You are a little sway back (but then you already know that), and you can make those alterations with two straight darts, parallel to center back, from mid back to mid derrier, but you probably already know that. That will solve your sway back problem, and then you can simply lower your neck a little in front....probably no more than 1/2" and that will solve your front neckline problem.

But your dress is great and looks great on you and love the versatility of being able to wear a turtleneck under it. The fitting problems you have are very minor, but it would be knocked-out with them solved - and you would probably be happier.

Michelle said...

Great dress, the fabric is wonderful!

amber said...

That dress is adorable! I can't decide if I like it better with the turtleneck underneath or belted. So cute!

alicewilson2000@yahoo.com said...

I love the dress, you are so cute in it. I think it would look great in winter with black tights and boots.

Anonymous said...

What a great resource!