Sunday, November 15, 2009

Burda 09-2009 #130 Cropped Vest

Remember this little ditty from 09-2009 Burda? I love vests and I needed something different for my wardrobe topper. I have decided that I'm not a jacket kind of gal and maybe I should stop making jackets that I will never wear. Instead, I used the remaining wool twill from this recent jumper and made this vest. This, I will most certainly wear.




I went with the mother of pearl buttons that so many of you suggested. I really like how they are neutral but kind of dressy at the same time.


The back is my favorite part with that high slit.


The buttons were made with my Greist buttonholer on my Necchi BU Mira.



I finally conquered that Burda technique that they show with the wooden spoon. It's pretty easy when you actually follow their directions. You pull the vest right side out through a 6" slit in the CB lining. Later you hand-stitch that puppy back together.


Let's see, some details for ya'll. I took in the side seams about an inch on both sides. I made no other alterations except leaving off the topstitching, tubular braid, frog closures, and snaps. Brian, it took me almost no time to make this vest. It's only six pieces (three fashion fabric, three lining) with no challenging sewing. I think it probably took me four hours of solid time from tracing to buttonholes. Like everything, the pressing and finishing things like buttonholes and hand-stitching took the majority of time. Actual time at the machine might have been an hour but I doubt it. I highly recommend making vests because they don't require much fitting and they are simple and fast to put together.

18 comments:

Unknown said...

Great vest, love the notch in the back! You'll get lots of use out it, I'm sure!

Vicki said...

It looks so good on you. Good job.

Maryissewfast said...

Beautiful and thanks for demistifying the spoon technique!!!

Anonymous said...

This is so pretty! I can't believe you are giving up jackets. You've made such nice ones.

Ann Made Studio said...

Good job.It looks great on you.

gwensews said...

Great vest. Perhaps severly tailored jackets are not for you. I like soft, drapey jackets or softly tailored. Maybe a different style would make you happier.

mimi o said...

Very Nice...looks really cute on you.

Lori said...

Great looking vest.

Anonymous said...

Love it. Thanks for showing the cb seam opening--I screwed the wooden spoon thing up on a waistcoat last winter!

Tanya said...

so i'm still a little bit confused, when do you use the wooden spoon?

great vest by the way!

Bunny said...

Looks great!

Kathi said...

Very cute vest!!! We are opposites - I can't stand vests, but I love jackets! I just need to work up my nerve and make one!

Claudine said...

Great vest! I'm totally into vests this season.

Eugenia said...

Great vest and I think you definitely picked the right buttons - they look just right.

Gretchen the Household Deity said...

I love this--just a simple vest. I'm going to have to make it.

amber said...

Adorable! I particularly like the back notch.

Anonymous said...

Dawn, the fit of this vest is perfect! Great job, as always!
Cissie

Kelsey Lassich said...

Very very cool :) i'm just getting into sewing and so far i've only made a skirt and a crop top jacket, but you have really inspired me to keep going. Thanks!