Saturday, August 9, 2008

Skirts, Pants, and Packages

  1. All packages with patterns have been sent. A few of you got some "extras" in your bag. Enjoy. :)
  2. I just reviewed a pair of pants. I really like them but the pictures suck. I'll add a picture but I warn you: fuzzy and not good. The fabric is really cool with vertical stripes. They fit well though you won't be able to tell. Sigh. Back to the photo studio.
  3. I have a skirt to do for the mini-wardrobe contest and I've decided on this skirt from the August 2008 BWOF (#106). I really like the simple lines. I think it will showcase the weave of my fabric well. A couple of questions for those of you who care to answer: I plan to line it, should I use the same fold-over design for the lining? Or should I fold the pattern piece and just cut a simple straight skirt for the lining? I am also debating adding a center back seam for my athletic butt/swayback and a kick pleat. Does anyone know of a good online tutorial for a back vent? I love the one for the kick pleat from the Sewing Divas but I would rather have just a back vent for this one.

The really fuzzy picture of my nice black pants.

9 comments:

Myra said...

Thanks for the patterns, got them yesterday.

Unknown said...

Fuzzy or not, the pants look like a great addition to the wardrobe!

Vicki said...

I think I would use the same pattern for the skirt and then joint them at the waist so that the folds work together. It is a very cute skirt!

Anonymous said...

I love the skirt and those pants look great on you.

Dana said...

First, if I looked that good in my bad pictures, I'd be very happy! Second, I just came across this same situation with a skirt pattern. The first one I lined exactly the same the second I eliminated the extra fabric (haven't sewn this one yet). Personally, I'd eliminate it. I wore the first one the other day and .... well that's why I eliminated the excess on the second. Third, I think Power Sewing by Sandra Betzina had a good method for a vent. It was a library book so I don't have it now, but I vaguely remember a section on skirt vents.

patsijean said...

I have been looking at this pattern myself. It is very cute. You will have 3 layers of fabric at the fold-over, so the best thing to do to help it keep its shape is to omit the fold-over and cut a straight skirt. that way you will avoid 6 layers of fabric and a lot of bulk across the stomach. So, yes, fold out that section.

Anonymous said...

I third the suggestion to use a straight skirt for the lining. I'd also like to recommend the book The Easy Guide to Sewing Linings. You may have to get it used. It's soooo worth it.

Catherine said...

Sorry, I can't help with the technical questions but I love that pattern too so I can't wait to see how yours turns out. Good luck!

Anonymous said...

thanks so much, I got my two days ago. thanks for the extra! I shared your generosity with a friend of mine and passed the extra pattern on to her and she thought it was so nice and wants to say thanks as well.