Monday, April 7, 2008

Burda - 03-2008-110 Sleeveless Gathered Top

Review on PatternReview.com coming very soon . . . I guess you could say I love Burda again. You can see from this that the back is a bit tight . . . in a knit. This was a 34. If I make this in a woven, I'll make it in the 36. I really like Burda because I would never have bought these patterns. But since I have them already in the magazine, well, why not? I think I get stuck in sewing/wardrobe ruts. I find a style that works and make it over and over again. Burda is helping me make some new tracks and it's fun!

I raised the neckline seam an inch. Because, like I've said in the past, I have a bony/ribby chest. My pleats are too close to the center. If you look at the magazine, their darts are much further out to the sides. I folded, refolded, and folded those suckers again and again.

I think the weird line in the back is due to the serger seam. It really doesn't feel tight at all. The under-bust belt snugs up the front and must make the back tighter.

I didn't use my coverstitch this time. I used a (one of three!) decorative stitches from my Viking.

I interfaced the little pleated tab. I won't do that next time; it makes it stick out funny. I thought this knit would need the extra bulk. The side view gives me just a touch of the empire waist pregnancy look but not bad.

You can see the bust point is too high. Though on their model it looks very high too. I think I need to make a 36 and do an SBA.

13 comments:

Paula Gardner said...

Dawn, you are a sewing machine! Where do you find the time? Do you never sleep?

The top is cute, is that from the March issue?

Unknown said...

I LOVE that! It looks wonderful on you. I usually think of you as a green and brown person, but that cornflower blue is awesome on you.

Vicki said...

Very cute!

Adrienne said...

That's a cute top. I've never noticed it before! I might have to pull out my March Issue.

Shannon said...

Ooo, this top looks wonderful on you. Amazing colour too! I think I may have to add this to my sewing list!

Alexandra said...

Beautiful top! It looks great on you! I love the front band/belt detail.

Kat said...

That is such a beautiful top and style! Off to check out your review...

kasizzle said...

You may just convert me to a Burda girl,too! I love everything you've been sewing!

Meg said...

Ditto what Paula said. How do you do it all and keep sewing (and sewing well) at this pace? Must be your youth.

Anonymous said...

I have two small children (6 and 3) and sew at a snails pace compared to you! I asked this on your review, but in case this is better...how do you raise the neckline? I didn't make this because the top looked like it would pop open if I bent over. It would be great to know how to do that to patterns and have more options, especially with BWOF because they tend to be more daring! P.S. Love you blog. Also, I am myrcrew.

Karen said...

I completely passed this one by, but I can see I need to re-evaluate. And I'm with Charity that color looks great on you.

Ann Made Studio said...

I also love the colour. The top fits you really well and I think the pleats look great where they are on your top. You did a great job.

cidell said...

When Christina from Assorted Notions made this, she noted that it was also snug. So, it's not you! And, she had sleeves so her movement was really limited.