Thursday, February 21, 2008

Kwik Sew 3576 - Sheath Dress


This is my, "It fits! It fits!" look. Pretty smug huh? You can't see the darts and fit but it is great. I love the boatneck and the fit. No sheath dress has ever fit me like this before. I'll have to transfer these darts to everything I make.

Here's the back, it's got cute details so it is too bad it is black because you can't see anything.

The front details. It should have a belt buckle. I'll need to look for one.

My "oops-seam" I think it turned out okay though.

With or without a shirt. This baby has lots of potential.

Here's the PR review:
Pattern Description: Misses' fitted sleeveless dresses have bust darts, waist darts, and center back zipper. Neckline and armholes are finished with facings. View A has boat neckline, patch pockets with belt loops on front, back belt loops, shaped belt at hip with buckle, and topstitching detail. Pockets and belt loops are lined. View B has wide V-neckline. Dresses can be worn with or without a shirt. I made view A with all the belt and details.

Pattern Sizing: XS-S-M-L-XL. I made the XS.Did it look like the photo/drawing on the pattern envelope once you were done sewing with it?Yes, although mine has an extra seam in the chest area. I, um, forgot to make my normal shortern-by-1/2" from shoulder to bust alteration. Whoops. I had already cut out the fabric when I realized it. So, I tried to make it look like I meant to do it. I topstitched it and I don't think it looks bad.

Were the instructions easy to follow? Yes, very. I did something totally different for the zipper and I lined it. I tried to follow this tutorial from Marji's review and I ended up ripping out the zipper, the back of the dress and the side seams at least one time each. I decided while I was doing this that I will make my own tutorial for lining a sheath dress when I make this again. That way, morons like me, can see step by step how you do it. What did you particularly like or dislike about the pattern?Likes: I LOVE THAT IT IS A SHEATH DRESS AND IT FITS!!!! I have never had one fit well before. This is kind of a A-line version but the bodice fits me so well. Here is the front and back. I know it is hard to see since it is black. I will totally make this more times in dressier fabrics. I also like the belt/loops/pocket detail. I tried to overexposed these so you can see the details. (As an aside, how in the heck do you make perfectly square points on things? My belt loops and pocket would look much better if they were more pointy on the ends.) I am supposed to have a belt buckle but I didn't have one so the silver thing is a pin holding the belt together.Dislikes: None.

Fabric Used: I used a 100% cotton pique fabric from Three Sisters Fabric Boutique. It has no lycra but lots of bias stretch. It was sort of a problem when I was topstitching the zipper. I will interface that area next time. The lining was from JoAnn's. I don't know what brand but it is not the cheapy (or not AS cheapy) as some of them. It feels great on.

Pattern Alterations or any design changes you made: I made the 1/2" shortening alteration (after I cut the fabric, tee hee). I used smaller seam allowances for the hip area. The finished garment measurements for the hip area was 36" which is my exact measurement. I just used a smaller SA and it fits fine in the hip area. I totally changed the lining/zipper application. It turned out very nice inside. This pattern comes with facings and I used the pattern as the lining pattern. Would you sew it again? Would you recommend it to others?Oh, yes. I have been looking for a sheath-style dress that would fit me and this one is great. I will sew it again and again. I am thinking it will be very easy to make it more pencil-skirt-ish and add a pleat for the walking pleat. Of course, I am semi-pearish and maybe this A-line version is a better shape for me. I love the boatneck of this pattern too. You can also wear it alone with no shirt underneath.

Conclusion: Super cute and easy. If you are looking for a sheath pattern this one may be the one that fits you.

No comments: